I also had a representative from Universal Gas and Electric come to my door to get me to sign up with their company.She was very nice and seemed very sincere.

At no time did she tell me I was changing companies, only that they were going to provide price protection against rising cost of gas. I was concerned whether the price would go down if gas prices went down and was assured they would.

I received my first bill only to find they were charging me more than double what I used to pay. I am trying to get out of this contract but fear it will cost me dearly.

I feel so foolish for falling for this scam!

Had an Experience with Universal Gas And Electric?

Comments

Prichard, West Virginia, United States #20355

There is no way your going to make $25 an hour door to door, not day, after day.You may get a hit or 2 like I did, but, then you will have to worry about that customer canceling (I know I would) thus you have to wait a month, jsut to get payed from that "deal" but, I have yet to get paid, and once I learned about the companies practices, I was gone like yesterday.

If your thinking about working for one of these kind of companies, don't do it.Your morals, and your integrity will thank you.

Wellpinit, Washington, United States #11207

Good thing I looked these guys up...they just called me regarding an online resume.

I most certainly do not want to be associated with scam artists...despicable how they conduct business.

Bluffton, South Carolina, United States #8618

I thought that I was the only one that fell for this.The person that came to my door was very good at his job.

He really convinced me that going through Universal would cut my energy costs. My first bill came and I was shocked! It had never been so high. I called the company and complained and asked them what I could do to get out of the contract.

They told me it was too late because it was over 30 days since I had signed the contract.

In order to get out of the contract I had to pay them $250.I feel extremely scamed!!!

Sugarloaf, Pennsylvania, United States #8432

I did my homework!!

I am supposed to have an interview with them tomorrow.

I think I will call and cancel.

I was a lil skeptical when the person who called told me over the phone that a customer service rep could earn $25 an hour.... Way to bait the hook in a crappy job market. Glad Im not biting on this one!

Ottawa Lake, Michigan, United States #6108

Its true, you still stay with the company, but switch suppliers.I work for the biggest energy supplier in mich, and i have recieved numerous complaints about customers being taking advantage of and misrepresentation.

especially those in poverty stricken areas, and elderly individuals. Its very sad, because i have customers who have been raped! and i cant do anything about it due to legality reasons. but, this i do suggest!

NEVER NEVER EVER agree to anything if its not in wiriting, if u feel pressured to do so, if u feel the person is tip toeing around words. AND stay with a reputable energy provider. If you havent heard about them, then dont go with them.

Companies that are more generally known within the community, or throughout the nation are held to a different standards, for many different reasons.hopefully class action law suit will be generated and reperations will be implemented

Imperial, Missouri, United States #4459

I was also scammed by Universal, but got out of it on a technicality.It did cost me $10 to have DTE switch me back but it happened soon enough that I didn't incur any "high price" gas charge.

Before I got out, I got on the Michigan Public Service and the Michigan Attorney Generals Internet sites and filed my conplaint against Universal. It does look like the Federal government is investigating Universal. A Federal agent has contacted me by phone and email because of my complaint to the Michigan Attorney Generals office.

He has asked me to email him, phone #'s, and/or email addresses of any one that I know was also scammed.If you were scammed by Universal, it is important that you file a complaint with the Michigan Attorney Generals web site.

Harrisonville, Missouri, United States #4440

O.K. so I have worked for this company for about a week.

YOU DONT CHANGE COMPANIES.... You Change Supplier. If you have a bill from then it still says DTE or Consumers. Flip it over and look there are two areas as opposed to one one says michcon or DTE or Consumers always at the top then below it it says blah blah Universal.

And this goes to show you how little people really pay attention to thier bills now a days!

The people I have ran into at doors who PAY ATTENTION to thier bills every month and LISTEN to what the agent says and READ what the packet they are given says they would know that they NEED to pay attention each month.

The agent (if legitimate) will explain that if you find that you are paying more with the program than you would be with the regular billing you CALL the NUMBER provided and they will adjust it.

Long story short the people who look at what they pay and listened are very happy withthier service. The ones who dont arent.

HERES THE BIG GET

What this company does is allow emplloyees to climb the ladder fast in hopes that they can send them to other branches or NEW branches to run them. In the case of the GRAND RAPIDS, DETROIT, And everything in between HESPERIA and LUDINGTON areas. They promoted some guy to run this western office. HE HOWEVER LIED and also TRAINED his AGENTS TO LIE! If you live in any of these areas and were told that you would be paying .33 cents or were over the...

IN ADDITION.

As I said if you are responsible and saved the packet and pay attention to your bills youll be happy and fine! HOWEVER...They treat thier employees like dog ***!

I respondedto an ad in the local paper. There are no jobs in this area and the add stated I could make up to twenty five dollars an hour OR MORE! The office I went to was all the way in Saginaw. I live right around an hour and a half from there. To apply I had to drive there. I did and after the "speed dating" interview process of a room full of eleven people they ask if you are willing to work six days a wekk..Coming from an area with no jobs and now having a possible fall in your lap you more than likely will say yes. I did. Then they say "Well thanks for your time you will recieve a call by this evening if you get the job." Then they take you out in to the hall copy your I.D. and SSN and ask you to look at the photos on the wall. Photos of random people holding 900 dollar puls checks.

You leave after also being told this would be the last time you should have to drive all the way back for anything. I got the call that I was hired. However I was to AGAIN drive all the way back to Saginaw for training. Training took maybey two hours they explain that in your training process you make 1 hundred dollars your first week plus any aplications you get you will be paid 35 dollars for. They claim that you should get an ap an hour. Then week two two hundred and ap pay as the weeks tick to week five the hundres go up till week five where you make five hundred a week plus ap pay. As you can imagine your eyes get big with possibilities.

Then as My co- worker and I left our training his was two days before mine, they say we are looking at you for manager. Apparently according to my co- worker the two managers in this area spilled lots of beans to him then quit that day because a six hundred dollar check wasnt enough for him. Then they sent up two different people on two different days. The first day was day one of training. Litterally entered a town, the two the other trainee and myself head into town with the manager guy. He takes each of us to 1 door and goes up with us. We both stumbled through the pitch and sucked. He then asked "alright ready for the next door?" I said I wasnt sure he said "youll be ok." That was the extent of our training.

According to thier policy we are to meet at nine am and practice for an hour. We only did that our first day. As the days rolled by my co-worker and I picked up on double talk. "Dont go to a town if it had just been visited within the past two weeks." Then once two managers had worked in the area and realized the towns are small and had been hit alot it was "Hit the town anyway".

At that point my co worker devulged that he managers that quit had told him that if we missed a day in our "training period" we get docked twenty dollars of our pay so in your 1st week thats 80 bucks plus whatever deals or aps you wrote. We both had pre existing appointments that week and each missed a day.

Long story short I have spent around 250 dollars on gas alone driving all over the state. Ran into the territories where the branch that was lying to folks hit and made hardly any money. Today I drove over 200 miles with my only car (the family car) and come to find out no manager (the person who would bring me my check) will be up tomorrow which means I spent the last week ragging on my car and blowing gas money like it was water and will get no check till who knows when!!!!!!

On top of all that the story the managers that my co worker spoke to may have possibly lied. I was told just tonight that "Because I missed a day it reset mytraining week" this could mean 1 of things.

1. I just blew almost three hundred dollars to make THEM five deals and not only lost the one hundred dollars for the first week but possibly all the money from the deals because I am not "trained".

2. I just lost the hundred.

3. Because I missed ONE day and despite the fact that I was the only one of three people two of which were managers who made ANY deal at all except for ONE that the FIrst manager got the ONe day he was up here I will only make 100 dollars in week two plus any deals I write. Either way I just got screwed.

So they really rape thier employees worse than customers. They just leave it up to you to keep track of your bill and probably cross thier fingers you dont!

Perkinston, Mississippi, United States #4208

you should email the today show lets break this open nation wide. all the more emails the more attion this will get. i did it today the more people the faster results we get,

Brookhaven, Mississippi, United States #4083

I totally agree.I fell for it also.

There snake oil salesman told me it was a petition for de-regulation. I have been fiteing with them for weeks now. I have filed a complaint against them with the Sate Atterney General, and the State Energy Commision. I urge you to do the same.

Since Universals headquarters is in Toronto, I think the Feds should get invloved. Perhaps a class action suit ehhhh. I cant believe that Consumers Energy supports there efforts. I also can't believe that the people that work for them don't have enough morals to find something more productive to do.

Like the American people don't have enough financial problems in this "sudo" ression.

Especially in Michigan.I applaude (unhappyinmi) for writting this.

Sincerly Mike from Novi

Brookhaven, Mississippi, United States #4082

I totally agree.I fell for it also.

Especially in Michigan.I applaude (unhappyinmi) for writting this.

Sincerly Mike from Novi